What's the use of reading?

1
Some people say that reading is a form of escaping one's life. I hardly see it that way because I love my life.

But what's the use of all that knowledge obtained from books if it does not lead to any sort of action? I constantly struggle to find a good reason to "allow" myself to read books. It feels like it does not help me to achieve my goals of earning more money, improving my health, improving my current relationships and building new relationships. I keep telling myself that I should something better to do with my time. I try to make myself read work-related books. Most of the time I end up not reading them at all because they can be incredibly boring!

Reading (with a cup of tea) enhances my sense of well-being. It feels like La Dolce Vita (Italian "the sweet life" or "the good life") . I also like increasing my knowledge and also being entertained by fiction. Reading fiction is a totally different experience from watching a movie or TV show. It requires more effort to read a book than to watch a movie. I watched the TV series "Game of Thrones". That lead me to read the series of books upon which the show was based. The books have greater depth, of course, because there is no rush to squeeze the storyline and character development into 40-min blocks per episode. I am looking forward to the next book in the series!
















In 2013, I did not read as many books as I did in 2010 and 2009. I recently received a free 7" tablet (Maybank promotion). It's extremely convenient to hold in 1 hand and carry around compared to a 10" ipad. I will be reading more in 2014!

Non-fiction books read in 2013

1. The 200 Best Home Businesses Easy To Start, Fun To Run, Highly Profitable
2. Manage Your Day-to-Day Build Your Routine, Find Your Focus, and Sharpen Your Creative Mind
3. Healthy beauty : your guide to ingredients to avoid and products you can trust by Epstein, Samuel S.
4. Eco-friendly families by Helen Coronato
5. Rescue our world : 52 brilliant little ideas for becoming an eco-hero by by Natalia Marshall

Fiction books read in 2013

1. Stick out your tongue by Ma Jian
2. The noodle maker by Ma Jian
3. The red pony by John Steinbeck
4. Murder on Fifth Avenue by Victoria Thompson
5. A Twist in the Tale (22465) by Jeffrey Archer

6-10. A Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin:
A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
A Feast for Crows
A Dance With Dragons

1 comments:

Paul said...

I read mostly non-fiction now.