Why I dislike sending greetings

2
I avoid sending Christmas greetings to people because I don't want them to get the wrong idea that I believe in Jesus Christ and Christmas.

So I send them New Year greetings instead. But it's hard to avoid those messages about Jesus and God. I don't mind the word "blessings" because that's general and I don't reject "blessings". Although people don't mean any harm when they seize the opportunity to tell me about their beliefs but not believing in God is a belief. If all beliefs are to be respected, people should stop trying to "greet" me with messages about Jesus or God - especially when I have shared my beliefs with them before.

It is unacceptable for people to send greetings such as "Merry Christmas! By the way, God does not exist and you should stop deluding yourself," so why should Christians have the right to send messages about God watching over us, healing us and to pray to God?

This is not going to stop me from sending greetings to my friends but neither is it going to stop me from thinking that people who send such messages lack respect for my beliefs.

2 comments:

David said...

Yu-Kym,

Christian's can turn you reason for not sending Christmas greetings around.

The reason being that most Christian's would tell you that atheist are deluding themselves about the impossibility of there being a God.

Gaps in scientific knowledge, even contradictions that cannot be explained.

Biblical history is well supported by artifacts, writings and more.

I for one find that science and Religion can co-exist.

Now you will not want to read the following. Many of us Christian's pray for non-believers, something you no doubt find useless.

Nevertheless, your spirited ideas, and fresh look at relationships and your unique world view draw you readers from around the world.

We will agree to disagree on the existence of God. My faith is unshakeable as you belief in no deity of any sort. Perhaps one day we both might discuss this universal issue.

Until then my friend!

Have a Happy, peaceful and wonderful New Year.

David


"Man, made in the image of God, has a purpose - to be in relationship to God, who is there. Man forgets his purpose and thus he forgets who he is and what life means."
— Francis Schaeffer

SC said...

Maybe metaphysics may tell you more about yourself.