Sengkang LRT proves too difficult for local grads

3
I attended my secondary schoolmate's housewarming party at Sengkang last weekend. My friend provided the LRT station name. I had never taken the LRT (light rail transit) there before. Having taken the LRT at Bukit Panjang before, I thought it would be just as easy at Sengkang.

There were maps on the board with the names of the stations displayed. I found the station I was looking for but I couldn't figure out which platform to go to (there are 2 platforms). While I was looking at the maps, someone else who had been looking at the drawing asked me for directions. I said I didn't know because I really didn't!

I asked a guy who was standing, looking as though he knows which train he was waiting for. I couldn't fully understand how the LRT works after he explained it to me. Another guy heard me asking and he confirmed that it was the correct train to take. The first guy I asked, coincidentally, was going to the same station. He even reminded me to alight when he was alighting.

My friend's place is 2 mins' walk from the station. Apparently, my friend's university schoolmate took the wrong train! The LRT has proven to be a challenge for university graduates! Either the people who designed the system (and maps) are too smart (you know, engineers!) or the education system here churns out silly graduates (like me!).

(By the way, I studied engineering but I'm not smart enough to be an engineer - that must be why I couldn't figure out on my own how to work the system!)

3 comments:

David said...

Yu-Kym,

I have worked with many very bright and talented engineers.

I have to agree that I have yet to meet an engineer who could write instructions that an average person can understand.

Most engineers are barely aware of human performance standards, and how people interact with a user interface.

No wonder your friend took the wrong train.

David

Anonymous said...

David,
There is the North East MRT line that is supposedly simpler than the LRT, yet I have lost my way before and I am a graduate :-D

Paul said...

That's a traditional problem all engineers face. The rigours of their academic training took their human faces off their interpersonal and communication skills. Hence, it's always good for them to take a break from their hardcore technical jobs and to do something totally different to understand how people think.