Calorie-counting for weight-loss

4
My younger sister recommended me an app, Health Promotion Board's HPB Diet Tracker, to track your daily food intake. It's designed for Singapore so there's a list of local food to select from. I'm not a calorie-counter. I've never known how many calories there are in a certain type of food but because I know how to cook, I know what goes into most food, therefore I can estimate how much fat and carbs a type of dish contains in comparision to, say, noodles cooked in soup.

I downloaded the app to experiment. It's not possible to find each and every thing you eat on the list and even if you can, the serving size measurement can't be exactly what you consumed. And if the food is home-cooked by me, it's possible for it to contain less fat and calories in the form of sugar. So, +/- 10% I'd say.
However, the app does not track protein, fibre and other nutritional requirements. I hope it will be built into the next update.

In the app, I have to enter my age, weight, type of work and physical activity level. I've not been exercising for the past few weeks (I walk alot but it's not streneous enough for me to regard it as exercise) so I indicated my physical activity level as "light".

The result:

Over the past 2 days, my calorie and fat consumed are slightly below the recommended limits. (I didn't eat all that for breakfast - I didn't bother to split it into lunch/dinner.)

IF I want to lose weight, I'll have to consume less.

I wrote once that Nobody get fat eating nothing . Many people who claim that they want to lose weight eat food that are packed with calories and they don't even exercise. That's why they can't lose weight!


4 comments:

David said...

Yu-Kyn,

Correct when you state no one can get fat by eating nothing!

Is that 1390 kcal your actual intake??

That level of intake is a starvation diet!!!

From: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/calorie-intake-to-lose-weight.php

If you want to lose fat, a useful guideline for lowering your calorie intake is to reduce your calories by at least 500, but not more than 1000 below your maintenance level.

For people with only a small amount of weight to lose, 1000 calories will be too much of a deficit. As a guide to minimum calorie intake, the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) recommends that calorie levels never drop below 1200 calories per day for women or 1800 calories per day for men.

Even these calorie levels are quite low.

David

This app looks amazing, but it was just too not expensive for me to give it a go. There is also no offline database associated with it so it only works if you have an internet connection..
Thanks for such a great post..

Correct when you state no one can get fat by eating nothing!

Is that 1390 kcal your actual intake??

That level of intake is a starvation diet!!!

From: http://www.caloriecounteriphone.com/


If you want to lose fat, a useful guideline for lowering your calorie intake is to reduce your calories by at least 500, but not more than 1000 below your maintenance level.

For people with only a small amount of weight to lose, 1000 calories will be too much of a deficit. As a guide to minimum calorie intake, the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) recommends that calorie levels never drop below 1200 calories per day for women or 1800 calories per day for men.

Even these calorie levels are quite low.
Thanks.

mile jaen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.