Having a sweet tooth might make you poor

0
I love sweet things. Who doesn't?

But as you must already know, more and more people in Asia are getting diabetes.

"Sedentary lifestyles and diets rich in refined, processed carbohydrates (such as snack foods and soft drinks) are known factors in the onset of diabetes. Medical research also indicates a genetic factor that is particularly relevant when considering Asia, as Asian people especially carry a higher risk of developing the condition. " [Read: The rise of Type 2 Diabetes in Asia]

Note also that snacks and sweets cost alot more than they're worth.

E.g.:
A curry puff costs $1. $1 buys me 6 large portions of uncooked baby spinach.
An ice-cream costs $5. $5 buys me 2 bags or 10 small portions of uncooked pasta.
A tiramisu costs $10. $10 buys me 2 large portions of uncooked salmon steaks, or 4 large portions of uncooked sliced beef.
A soft drink costs $1.20. Bring your own water: almost free.

Cooking fresh, nutritious food costs less than $400 a month, if I cook almost every meal for myself plus 1 meal for my sister each day. It's not because I cook cheap carbs and cut back on meat - which is the most expensive part of the meal. I totally believe in paying good money for good food: it's worth paying for fresh, unprocessed meat. And I'm still on my first tank of gas since Nov 2010.

I do like snacks, sweet drinks and desserts but I limit my intake. I'm not thinking only about weight control; it doesn't make sense to pay alot of money to increase my chances of getting diabetes and accelerate aging [Read: Calorie restriction diet]. And if someone get sick or if his organs start to fail prematurely, he'll have to spend a whole lot more on treatment and may not be able to continue working.

So beware the sugar and its effects on your health and wallet.

0 comments: