Your dead friends

7
Many Indians use the term "expired" when refering to someone's death, e.g. Henry's father expired yesterday. I was amused when I heard it. The first thing that came to mind was expired milk can't be drunk and smells bad. Good thing the news was given to me by email otherwise people might think I'm insensitive to be smiling at the news of someone's death.

What do you do with your online connections, e.g. Facebook and MSN, with your friends who have passed on?

I didn't delete my friend on Facebook though she passed on 2 years ago. I didn't delete my friend on MSN who passed away a few months ago. I don't want to remove them from my lists. Perhaps it's because I don't want them to forget them. Or maybe I'm hoping that when technology permits, they'll be able to communicate with me from the dead!

(I'm joking. I believe that we are all just dead and gone after we die.)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

u got MSN?

Anonymous said...

If so Yu-Kym, why keep their contacts?

Some superstition perhaps keke

silli cat

Yu-Kym said...

Yes, I have MSN.

I think it's because I don't want to forget them.

AlanChai said...

Also to let you know in hospitals..
" Last Office " means death :)

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmmm....perhaps keeping them "live" in MSN, facebook or whatever is a good way to remember them by.

I am curious. Let me know for how long hv u managed to remember them this way and was there a point of time some years down the road when you decide that enough is enough....u thus proceed to delete them away for good but keep them in your memory?

silli cat

Yu-Kym said...

AlanChai, so you say someone has gone to their last office, or how do you use that term?

Silli cat, keeping them "live" on MSN live! Good one! I doubt I'll delete them because I keep my blocked contacts too (so that I don't accidentally add them back). At worst, MSN becomes obsolete or I just don't use it anymore.

AlanChai said...

The "last offices" are the procedures performed, usually by a nurse in the developed world, to a dead person shortly after death has been confirmed. They can vary from hospital to hospital, and culture to culture.The word "offices" is related to the original Latin, in which officium means "service, duty, business"[1]. Hence these are the "last duties" carried out on the body. (from wikipedia)
Btw..if u keen on video equipment..there's the BroadAsia2011 coming up in ur place.. http://www.broadcast-asia.com/
Enjoy reading your blog..Keep it up...