My favourite Ikea food

7
I'm sure you're all familiar with their famous meatballs. The meatballs are especially tasty because they're fried in butter and covered in buttery cream sauce.

It's only $4 on Tuesdays.
On normal days, it costs:
$6.50/10pcs
$8/15pcs
$2.90/5pcs - children's menu.
If want 10 piece and you're thick-skinned enough, I recommend you get 2 plates of 5 meatballs from the children's menu. The adult's 10-piece portion at $6.50 has half a potato more than 2 x 5-piece children's portion at $5.80, which means you are paying $0.70 for half a potato.



If you want to make your own meatballs, here's a recipe. I didn't try exactly this recipe but, yeah, I tried mixing breadcrumbs, beef and pork to get the same texture for the meatballs.


My favourite dessert used to be the princess cake but it has since shrank from a slice to a blob so I don't buy that anymore. ($2.80/slice)

Old slice:


New blob:



So now my favourite dessert is the semla but it's only available at a certain time of the year: during Lent season (Christian fasting season before Easter).



Description and picture from Ikea

"The delicious 'semla' bun is a bread roll, filled with marzipan, topped with whipped cream and sprinkled with icing sugar. It is traditionally eaten in Sweden in February, although they are already available in bakeries from January onwards, and even all year round in some shops.

This tradition has its roots in the Christian calendar, when in the period up to Easter, the people were supposed to fast. This period is called "Fastan" (Lent). On the last Tuesday before Lent begins, people would indulge in rich fatty food because it would be 40 long days and nights before they would be able to enjoy such food again!

The origins of the name 'semla' comes from the Latin word simila which means the finest wheat flour, which is indeed the basis of the semla bun."


The Ikea Singapore website has a slightly different description:

"The delicious Swedish semla is a wheat bun, lightly cardamom-spiced and partially filled with smooth almond paste. The bun is crowned with fresh fluffy whipped cream and almost floating on top of the creation is the cut-off bun lid, sprinkled seductively with fine powdery icing sugar.

In Sweden, the semla was traditionally eaten as dessert topping up the festive meals that was taken in preparation for Easter fasting. The Swedes would indulge in rich food on the last Tuesday before fasting and this last Tuesday became known as Fettisdagen - literally means Fat Tuesday. Today, the semla has become a traditional dessert between Fat Tuesday and Easter. And each Swede consumes on average five bakery-produced semlor each year, in addition to all those that are homemade.

The semla has also had a historic impact on Sweden: King Adolf Frederick of Sweden died of stroke in 1771 after consuming a luxurious banquet which was topped off by 14 servings of semla. "


Note: This is semla, not selma for Selma Hayek.

I used to live only 3km from Ikea but I missed this last year. This year I had it once already. At the cashier, a guy curiously looked at my bun and asked me whether there was anything in it. I was starting to explain to him what it was when his turn came to pay for his meal. I offered him a slip of paper describing what the bun was (it came with the bun). He declined. Why bother to ask if he doesn't bother to find out? Before he left the cashier he was still looking at my bun. I offered him the slip of paper again but he decline. I wonder why he was so scared to take the paper. There's no SARS going around. Or maybe he thought that if he took the paper I would expect him to pay for my bun!

Pictures from Ikea

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear they are balls, from the LEEches?

Anonymous said...

meat balls are nice but I think I prefer their chicken wings marinated in sesame seed oil.

I notice it used to be much much better but they could have skimmed or replaced the ingredients with something cheaper doesn't taste like what it used to.

I remember at one time I couldn't control myself and gobbled down 4-5 in a single sitting raising eyebrows of my lunch date.

paul

Anonymous said...

Do you mean to say you the Con-Mic who shy away from revealing yourself whilst you hide in your hole and ridicule Singaporeans and our leaders as Silliporeans and Leeches have the balls instead? lol

You make a really good stand up Con-Mic you know that? Do you have the balls to stand up for all to see you and do your Con-Mic shows? Keep us entertained with your stupigdity pls. lol

silli cat

Being a Swede, I find it quite astonishing that there's such an interest in Swedish cuisine. I guess we have to thank IKEA for spreading the word about meatballs ;)

P.S. That's a very sad princess cake - it looks like it's been stored too long

Yu-Kym said...

Paul, I always wondered why people ate chicken wings at Ikea! I prefer the chicken wings at Commonwealth Crescent.

Christopher, yes, it's definitely Ikea! unfortunately that's how the princess cake looks like now when it's fresh...

Anonymous said...

I've tried commonwealth wings I will say they have standard. because they use ingredients like chinese wine and sesame seed oil which is considered costly by hawker standards and will hit their bottom lines and profits.

Ikea for the dark texture looking chicken wings I believe uses oyster sauce which make chicken wings taste really great as seen from the never ending long queues though I'm not so certain now as the taste is quite different from before.

paul

Wow - really? Don't eat it! The green marzipan shouldn't be that soggy at all. It only becomes that after being in the fridge for a few days