Beauty gets you money and happiness

4
So says a study that gauged happiness and attractiveness among more than 25,000 people worldwide. [Read it]

You already know that better-looking people generally earn more money and marry those who are better-looking and higher-earning. That's the financial aspect. How about happiness?

In the study, participants were asked about their own levels of happiness. Their interviewers rated their looks face-to-face or from photographs. Those in the top 15% of people ranked by looks are more than 10% happier than those ranked in the bottom 10%.

But beauty affects women's happiness more directly than men's. "For a woman, it just matters to walk down the street being good-looking. It hurts to walk down the street being bad-looking," lead study author Daniel Hamermesh says. "For a man, beauty's direct relation to happiness is not as great. It will give you a better-looking wife, a higher-earning wife and — most important — extra earnings."

A few days ago I saw a comment on one of my articles asking me whether it matters to me that people find me attractive when I walk down the street. I don't usually notice or think about what people are thinking about me. Their thoughts about me aren't going to make me rich. That's why I usually just wear flat-soled soles. A lifetime of pain from wearing stilettos isn't worth a few seconds of someone else's pleasure!

I noted an interesting comment from another professor who conducted a separate research. His research published in 2009 in the Journal of Research in Personality that tracked 147 people from two universities after graduation and found that people whose goals in life are related to their appearance are less happy when those goals are met. "Research shows people who are chasing attractiveness are more unhappy," says Richard Ryan, a professor of psychology, psychiatry and education at the University of Rochester in New York.

I had written about plastic surgery addiction. I think it's true that chasing attractiveness does make people more unhappy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you have beauty and you don't know how to make full use of it to make yourself (and perhaps others too) happy, shame on you to waste it....I think God (if there is one) should take it away from you and give it to someone else who does.

Same with intelligence, health, riches, personality, etc

silli cat

David said...

Yu-Kym,

In your case being attractive is the norm.

One can sense the confidence that you developed.


David

David said...

silli cat,

....I think God (if there is one)

The answer is YES there is one.

Ms. Loh may contest this, (my apology to her) but she cannot prove the God does not exist.

David

What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

Anonymous said...

David,

Neither can you prove that HE exists!

And the onus is not ours to prove that HE exists. The onus is upon those who believe he exists!

But I hope HE exists. lol

silli cat