Review: Internet Explorer 9 RC

5
Many tech products are designed for manual-reading tech people to use; the average person would have a hard time figuring out how to use them and what to do when something goes wrong. If you don't get what I mean, think about why we have to click the "Start" button in Windows XP to turn off the computer! Ease of use is one reason why many people prefer Mac to Windows.

Internet Explorer 9 "Release Candidate" is now available for use (download here: http://windows.microsoft.com/ie9). Will it be easy to use?

Firstly, the "Release Candidate" behind the name is confusing. What in the world is that? It's obviously named with tech people in mind. Perhaps it's to discourage non-tech people from downloading it and feeling frustrated from the errors and problems they get from using a software that's still being tested.

On Microsoft's page:
"Before you download the Internet Explorer 9 Release Candidate (RC), you should weigh the pros and cons of installing software that's still in development. The "Release Candidate" designation means that Internet Explorer has most of the features that will be included in the final release, but it's still being tested....
You should consider downloading the Internet Explorer 9 RC if all of the following apply to you:
- You like to use the latest software and enjoy experimenting with new technology.
- You feel comfortable troubleshooting computer problems yourself.
- You don't mind updating software frequently."



I gave it a go and here are my likes and dislikes.

Likes:
1. The tabs were in the top right of the screen so I have a little more viewing space on my screen.
2. Useful and space-saving menubar. It's very easy to add new bookmarks and retrieve bookmarks and browsing history.
3. To copy and paste, I can highlight the text that I want to copy, then drag it to where I want to paste it to.
4. Giant Back button.
5. There aren't many buttons or options to click. It's easy to find and access the options menu.
6. IE9RC crashed when I clicked on a link to a PDF file. Only that tab "crashed", i.e. only that tab was shut down instead of the entire program, and a new tab will automatically re-open and re-connect to the page that I was trying to access. In Firefox, the entire program will shut down, I will be able to re-open all the tabs that I was using before the program crashed but I would have lost my data.

Dislikes:
1. My Internet connection went off halfway so I lost all the information that I typed. In Firefox, I would be able to re-submit the information without loss of data.
2. The irritating status bar at the bottom of the screen that pops up and doesn't disappear if I don't click the Close button on it.

I prefer some of the features of IE9 over Firefox but until I get a stable Internet connection, I won't be using IE9.

5 comments:

Soft Release said...

I UNINSTALLED my Internet Explorer 9 RC.

It was SLOW. Yuks!

andrewcha said...

I use Opera all the time, PC and cellphone. Though some of the online banking don't support Opera but only IE in my country.

David said...

Yu-Kym,

Good review of IE9. I have been using IE9 since its release in the States more than 6 months ago.

It has been completly stable, and renders some pages faster than Firefox or Chrome.

I have no idead why your internet connetion would fail with IE9. I connect using one of the national cable providers and have never lost any data.

David

Hope is the word which God has written on the brow of every man.

-- Victor Hugo

Cuboi said...

You should go for Firefox. Way better than IE, in my opinion.

Yu-Kym said...

Soft release, slow for what sort of pages? Just graphics and text or video?

andrewcha, I like Opera mini!

David, my Internet connection fails all browsers! Mobile Internet connections are not as stable.

Cuboi, I've been using Firefox. I used to get spyware on my computer when I used IE. No such problems after switching to Firefox.