People with poor sense of direction usually avoid travelling

3
Do you have friends who dislike and avoid travelling overseas?

I have a theory: people who have a poor sense of direction usually prefer not to travel. Exceptions would be people who are not afraid to ask for directions or are able to put their trust someone to get them to their destinations.

(Note: I'm not saying that people with good sense of direction will enjoy travelling.)

"You're walking in the wrong direction," my mother said to me. My mother, my younger sister and I were on our way to visit my grandmother as we do each year. I assured my mother I was right. She kept saying I was wrong. My younger sister said that she had no idea where she was but she would follow me.

My mother and younger sister have a poor sense of direction. My father, elder sister and I have a good sense of direction.

Is it a coincidence that unlike my father, elder sister and me, my mother and younger sister dislike travelling?

I asked my younger sister whether she dislikes travelling because she's afraid of getting lost. "Maybe," she said, laughing.

My mother says she dislikes travelling because many places are dirty and she's afraid the plane might crash. When I informed her that I was going to Krabi she told me not to take any boats because they might sink. My mother isn't afraid to ask for directions but her fear for travel-related accidents is too strong.

Scientists discovered that rats have a hardwired navigation system in their brains, and it is likely that the sense of direction in human beings is something we are born with - or without. So maybe some people are born to travel and others just aren't.

3 comments:

David said...

Yu-Kym,

I know of people who will not drive on an expressway. They do not like driving fast.

I only know one person who admits her lack of geopgraphy keeps her from driving great distances.

I know others who now depend on a GPS system to keep them from getting lost.

David

Every person born in this world represents something new,
something that never existed before, something original and
unique.

-- Martin Buber

Anonymous said...

I associate a good sense of direction with having a good dose of intelligence. Coz it is your brain that interpretes your senses in direction. A less intelligent person cannot have this essential quality and therefore cannot interprete accurately his senses and find his way around as easily.

Keen senses and intelligence is not mutually exclusive but goes essentially together.

silli cat

Yu-Kym said...

David, I think GPS is a good invention and has helped many people. It's still not that reliable yet but I believe it will get better.

silli cat, do you happen to know anyone who is highly intelligent but has a poor sense of direction? I person who doesn't have a natural sense of direction would still be able to find his/her way around with enough preparation, observation or by asking for directions.