Job applications: It's not about the numbers

9
I received a suggestion to track the number of job applications I sent.

When I apply for a job, I leave a copy in my mailbox for reference in case I get short-listed for an interview. (I'll need to refer to the job description and the salary expectation that I wrote for that job. My salary expectation varies with the job scope.) Other than checking old records to ensure that I don't send duplicate application, I don't bother to look at or count the number of applications I sent.

The reasons why I don't track them:
1. It can be demoralising to send out many without getting many (or any) responses.
2. If I don't get selected for a job, it might be for reasons such as differences in salary expectations, and/or the job and I are not a good match (in terms of job scope, company culture, etc).

At best, the number of applications sent might indicate whether I'm applying for the right jobs, my cover letter or resume is effective enough to be picked out, my salary expectations are realistic, and the job market situation.

The number of applications sent out, the percentage of applications that result in interviews, or the length of time taken to find a job don't matter. And sometimes it's also not about getting the highest possible salary: it's not a good use of time to work in a company that works you to the bone, subjects you to psychological abuse, and leaves you to atone - for the rest of your life - for the sin of not taking care of your physical and mental health. Getting a job is only the beginning. What matters is whether that job will be physically, psychologically and financially beneficial for me in the long run.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

applying to b an engineer?

David said...

yu-Kym,

Applying for work?

Did the expense of writing and printing your book cost more than anticipated?

David


True faith is never found alone; it is accompanied by expectation.


-- C. S. Lewis

Soft Release said...

It's good to get a job, Kym. It brings you back to civilization.

Anonymous said...

So Yu-Kym,

Is it for real that you are going back into the job market? What's the story behind your 2nd book? Will it see the light of day if and when you are no more a recluse? Aren't you going to ride on the momentum of your 1st book after all the good publicity and interest it generated?

silli cat

Yu-Kym said...

Anon, no, I'm not planning on being an engineer.

David, no but I just feel I can do more with my time and abilities and get better rewards than I can writing.

Soft release, it's not civilization that I need :) So you think the Internet is not civilization?

silli cat, I will write but more as a hobby/sideline for now. I want to make more hay while the sun is up!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm....so u will be applying jobs in the finance industry?

Anonymous said...

Yu-Kym, I think you should continue to make more hay whether the sun is up or half up rather than go into full time writing.

Your 1st book although a fantastic read is mostly a regurgitation of your blog entries. I would think that this need not require a full time involvement. So your 2nd book which i eagerly await should eventually emerge as your sideline or hobby.

good luck!

silli cat

Yu-Kym said...

Anon, why finance? Are you in finance?

Thanks silli cat!

Anonymous said...

Nope , i am not in finance...in Engineering! LOL.. Hw abt u? Which industry u planning to go in?"