One reason why I love money

10
My friend and I were having drinks after dinner when a stranger came up to us and asked, "Have you finished eating?" He pointed to my friend's half-finished plate of satay beehoon. When my friend indicated that he had already finished eating, the stranger took the leftovers to another table and ate it.

I mentioned in my previous post, [Me so tired], about my (impending) depressing income tax statement for the year 2010. Although I'm far from being broke, a reduced income doesn't make me happy. Having money makes me happy. The incident at the hawker centre is one reason why I always feel that I need to make more money.

People don't end up eating food left behind by strangers overnight. They get there by making a number of poor decisions over time. One may argue that some people lost their fortune overnight when the stock market crashes. But keep in mind that people don't just dump all their money into the stock market at one go. They constantly make the decision to put their money into A, not B; to keep the money there instead of taking it out; to hope and pray instead of cut losses. These decisions are made over time. The time span may be 1 week or many years - but it's still a series of decisions. Deciding not to ask for a raise, deciding not to find another job, being too lazy to do your own investment, spending time watching TV, buying insurance, buying new gadgets, etc - all these are relevant.

Although some people do experience better luck than others, I believe we can avoid being in catastrophic financial situations if we are disciplined enough to make the right decisions.

Each decision about how I spend my time and money determines how I would live when I'm old. Some people might think that I love money too much. But I'm not afraid of what they might think of me. If there's anything I'm afraid of, it's to be poor. I love money because that's the best way to avoid ending up like that stranger who had to eat my friend's leftovers.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The incidents you mentioned are impossible in Singapore! Our looony Great Leader has just declared on ST that our Gross Domestic Production jump by 24%.
But on reflection, I ask myself WTF he used the term “Gross Domestic Production”, is it a con-you job making people to think that Singapore’s GDP has expanded by 24% thus making SG achieving the highest GDP growth in the world? Most people will think that looony refers to GDP!
I remembered reading ST saying that electronics production increased by 14%, then next day, the same newspaper reported gartment said GDP increased by 14%! It appears that those loonies simply extrapolate the growth in a single sector equates to the growth of the whole economy. We are amazed by their cleverness in pull wool over people’s eyes!

Anonymous said...

oooh oooh oooh...I love money too. Just dont let it go over one's head. Think right, get it right, use it right!

Unfortunately, as for myself, I just cant see me living this life meaningfully having the lack of it. So I still strive for it but not obsessively so. Rightly or wrongly, I am still somewhat materialistic and pander (maybe too strong a word lol) for the good life with as right a balance as I can make it.

curious cat

David said...

Yu-Kym,

One is wise to plan for saving and meeting basic needs.

Investing for the long term requires a diverse portfolio with a mix of stocks, bonds and mutual funds.

A single person has a greater responsibiltiy for planning for an uncertian future. From previous post I would expect Yu-Kym to have a mix of growth investments.

I agree with Yu-Kym that being poor is not fun nor enjoyable.

David


I have had more trouble with myself than with any other man I
have ever met.

Anonymous said...

Hi Yu kym, this is off topic. Can you share what are your criteria for a husband? Will you consider if he is earning the same as you?

Anonymous said...

Hahaha

This fella that ridicules Singapore and our leaders so much... I wonder why he has so much interest in Singapore!

He is even able to regurgitate the figures although I'm quite sure he distorts and fabricates for his own madness. Never mind that. lol

And yet he refuses to reveal where he is from, what nationality is he, where has he been exiled to - where is this now his new home...purportedly a most wonderful country with fantastic leaders, what injustice has been done to him by Singapore, what crimes has he committed, how much fines and jail sentence he has paid, how many times Singapore ICA has rejected his repeated appeals to return home, how many times he has lost his job both in Singapore and in his new found homeland that he now finds also doesnt want him that is why he is paying us here in this Sillypore and Silliporeans so interesting lol

Leo is right about this fella too. He is no longer irritating but a an amusing specimen.

curious cat

Anonymous said...

Of course under certain conditions, Yu-Kym will consider a man for her husband if he is earning the same as her. But let me add that he wont be for long her ideal mate if he stagnates at the same salary spot she considers embarassing. lol

And if she dumps him eventually, I think he deserves it. lol

curious cat

Anonymous said...

David,

Yes you are right...Planning! Many dont seem to realise its importance and to start planning as early as possible. I started planning everything from finance to education to career since my upper secondary days...even envisaging who my soulmate would eventually be and what must I do to win her. lol

Of course planning is only the first impt step.

curious cat

David said...

CeC,

Financial planning is indeed important.

However unlike you my search for my soulmate, now my wife, took far longer than average.

I never imagined I would ever meet an attractive Asian women, court her, and the marry her.

Honestly all my social plans were turned on their proverbial heads.

However this is far off topic and would put Yu-Kym's readers to sleep.

People, Purchase YU-Kym's book!

It is a fun read, and you will find your interest in her topics increased. Yu-Kym is irrevrant as always and tip-toes the line between over the top and tasteful as delicately as any ballerina!

David

No rock is so hard but that a little wave may beat admission in
a thousand years.


-- Lord Tennyson Alfred

Anonymous said...

David,

If she is a filipina, I'm not surprised with your wonderful description of her personality and appearance. And the relatively longer wait is worth it all.

curious cat

David said...

Yu-Kym,

Can we assume that when you see your bank statement from you book sales increasing that your blood level of Oxytocin increases?

(I have to ask since you love money.)

David