Lunar new year preparations

6
Have you completed your preparations for the lunar new year?

After buying myself new clothes, I proudly declared that I have completed my shopping for the new year. "New dresses, new panties and new bras?" he asked (he's not Chinese).



Oh no. I forgot something. So I went to Orchard Road to buy new bras. My favourite lingerie shop, La Senza, had a 4 bras for $75 offer so I bought 4. With that, my new year shopping was complete.

I went to Chinatown to buy toiletries since it's just a few bus stops away. I wanted to get bak kwa but there was a queue at my favourite shop, Kim Hua Guan. People waited while the staff worked hard in the heat to barbeque the slices of minced honeyed pork. There were only 10 people in the queue - considered short - but I didn't join the queue because I wanted to get home before the office crowd starts jamming up the trains. I find bak kwa highly addictive. But it's fattening and "heaty", i.e. you could get a sore throat and fever from eating too much of it.

There's not much to spring clean at home because the place is new. My sister and I clean a little here and there frequently to avoid the need for a massive annual spring-clean.

I don't have much junk to discard. I already did that before moving.

I just stocked up on dried and frozen food. Most eateries would be closed and the few that are open would be packed. It's great that I can now cook my own food :)

Looks like I'm pretty much set for the lunar new year. But I haven't set out my goals and resolutions for the year yet. Still figuring them out...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

pretty dresses! nice backdrop too!

Anonymous said...

Yu-Kym,

Hope this non-chinese guy gets not only to comment but to actually undo your new bra and slide off your new panty for you some intimate moments. keke

It's about time he stops imagining what's underneath your new clothes and you stop imagining frangipani and rotten meat odour. Provided he is worthy enough of you that is. lol

silli cat

David said...

Yu-Kym,

I find it interesting to follow the preparations for CNY outside of North America.

Outside of a few Asian communities here, CNY is a non-event. There will be a few parties at homes of Asian's here, and in a few of the bigger Asian owned clubs. But for most of us it is just another winters week. BTW this week CNY will be ushered in with a very large snowfall Tuesday thru Wednesday.

Yu-Kym, I look forward to seeing your outfits for CNY celebrations as you have simply elegant taste in cloting.

David

To God, our journey is as important as our destinations.

Beth Moore

Bing said...

If I am not mistaken, I believe bak kwa is cancerous. Don't eat too much of it.

Katherine Josh said...

Loquat is for cough and lung in Chinese medicine. Sometimes i would take the Ninjiom Pei Pa Koa which is an extract of loquat when got sore throat.

You can access info online @
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nin_Jiom_Pei_Pa_Koa
ninjiom.50webs.com

Yu-Kym said...

Anon, thanks!

silli cat, he's just a friend...

David, it's pretty much business as usual for many shops after closing for a day of rest. I guess money is more important than tradition!

Bing, you are right. The charred bits are particularly harmful.

Katherine, I like Pei Pa Koa too. It's effective and it's the only medication that tastes nice!