Singapore Blog Awards 2010

17
[Thank you for voting for me in #sba2010!]

I didn't win the blog awards again. Last year's winner, Sam Ho, wrote original content. This year's winner, Violet Lim, merely regurgitates what other writers have written. How can that be considered "insight"?

This year's Blog Awards was held at St James Power Station. For avoidance of doubt, it's a nightspot not a power station or some concentration camp. While waiting for my friend, I befriended a lady who was waiting for her friends. It turned out she's a sponsor from Hong Kong tourism board! We spoke about Hong Kong - the wonderful milk tea, the fashion and the weather.

My friend arrived shortly after. I was happy to have my best gal friend was with me! She had a bad headache but she still came to support me. And one more good thing about her: she has very big and sharp eyes. As soon as she arrived she spotted Steven Lim (more about him later). I have no idea who invited him but he arrived with some "models". Aw, I guess he doesn't have girlfriends or friends so he has to pay models to come with him. (I empathise with those who attended alone because I had to go alone last year.)

Click to enlarge


Upon signing in, I was given a card and some stickers for the event and a Fabrix utility pouch. I find Fabrix pouches very well-made. I'm using last year's door gift - Fabrix camera case - it's so pretty! I hate ugly camera cases.

Fabrix camera case


My friend and I receded into a dark corner with comfortable sofas. There was a nice buffet. I didn't take anything from the buffet. My friend pointed to a bowl of salad on my table and said it was mine. I said I didn't take it. She told me that a waiter placed it on my table while I was talking to her. What an attentive waiter (and cute too)! He must have seen that I didn't have any food so he gave me the salad.

Guessed who sat in the next table? Steven Lim and his models. Of all people! He nearly fell out of the door when he was getting seated. He didn't try to talk to me so I just ignored him.

There was some dance performance followed by a lip sync by a blog award finalist, Silver Ang. It seems she participated in some singing competition before.

The emcee announced that there was a contest for "Head Turner" and "The Ultimate Bling". Those who wanted to be part of the contest would have to get votes online or get stickers from other people at the function. A blog finalist, Kanny, came over to ask her friends for stickers. I find her cute and pretty but she was too small to fill out the top portion of her dress. The space there was big enough to put somebody's head in! (Or maybe that was the idea?)




Silver Ang also wore a top that was too big for her body. It seems guys love it when they see such stuff because they'll try to peek in.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with having small breasts. Small breasts are beautiful too. I just think girls will look better if they wear the right size of bra and tops. And also, gals should not wear low-back dresses if they have blemishes or pimples on their backs. Here is a picture of the backs of one of Steven Lim's models(?):

It looked much worse without the flash


Then Steven Lim came over to ask me the 2 ladies in front of me, and my friend and me for stickers. The 2 ladies had given all their stickers to Kanny so they said they didn't have any left for Steven. My friend and I just sat there and shook our heads, refusing to give him any stickers. Then Steven recognised me.

Steven: Hey, we know each other.
Me: Yes, we do. You wrote nasty stuff me about last year.
Steven: No, I didn't!
Me: Anyway, I don't have any stickers.

After he walked away, the 2 ladies pointed out to my friend and me that there were some stickers on the table and asked whether they were ours. I explained to them that I just didn't want to give Steven the stickers.

Here's the history:
I met him at the Blog Awards last year. I had a pleasant conversation with him back then but he went home, checked out my blog, and wrote this on his blog:
" And one last one, blogger Yu- Kym!!!! I did not know who is she....she stood beside me and keeps staring at me and look thru my eyes and i cant bear not to say hi to this beautiful lady. I m totally straight ok!!! When i read her blog, then i realized that she is not that innocent as she appears to. She appears to have slept with lots of guys before and she couragely shared her experiences on the net. But seriously, she could pass off as a very nice lady easily."

All that coming from a guy who stripped to his underwear on national TV... in a singing competition!

So now you understand why we won't give him any stickers, right? If he at least explained or apologised, I would have given them a sticker but he insisted that he didn't write anything bad. I seldom tell lies but this is Steven Lim we're talking about - the guy who won't take No for an answer in the Singapore Idol contest so he stripped to his underwear.

Next, we were shown a slideshow featuring all the finalists blogs. It was extremely well done and the music selected was also great. I thought the results would be announced right after that.

Then came the anti-climax. There were 2 more songs lip sync-ed by 2 blog awards contestants Kanny and Silver respectively before the results were announced. I wonder whether Kanny and Silver were paid to perform. Neither of them won an award.

If it's any consolation, these are the things in the goodie bag. I love the Rubix cube (though I already have one) and the eco-friendly LED torchlight that does not require batteries! I made good use of the torchlight that I received last year during my Miri trip. My friend was disappointed not to find any Koka instant noodles in the bag this year. There were many packets of those in last year's goodie bag. We were happy to see a Monopoly box in the bag.

Goodie bag



To be brutally honest, I was disappointed to open the Monopoly box to find these:

EZ-link card sticker

It could be so cool to pull out a mini Monopoly board at cafes or while I am travelling.

Guess I should stick to playing other types of "games".



If you have voted for me and sent me an email in response to my post in which I requested for your support, I will send you something even though I didn't win. Look out for it in your email next week ;)

Related post:
Singapore Blog Awards 2009

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

To win means you have to get lotsa votes. It does not necessarily mean your blog is the best. Votes here does not translate as one man one vote one time. Although yours is the only blog i read, i dont have to read others to know that you have a captivating blog and a good thing going.

But if you think winning is a big thing, then you must change the usual way you manage your blog and put all your energy into it the same way u do your book.

Anyway congratulations..coz to me you deserve to win. Although i think you have some madness well hidden inside you. lol

curious cat

David said...

Yu-Kym,

It appears that you at least had some fun at the awards.

I would be surprised if there is also behind the scene efforts to have friends of any particular blogger to recruit others to vote for one blogger.

Besides you are the only author in this group and that will gain you more notoriety in the future.

You look totally beautiful in the that dress! A big WOW!

David

Anonymous said...

Hi!
Just to let you know.
Kanny & Silver were not doing lip sync-ing for the songs. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi..Steven Lim here.the pic you put above is not my model from my 1700 models. Below I m trying to say that you are very nice and does not mean any intentions to mention anything bad about u.pls kind dun misunderstand. All the best to you! thanks.

Here's the history:
I met him at the Blog Awards last year. I had a pleasant conversation with him back then but he went home, checked out my blog, and wrote this on his blog:
" And one last one, blogger Yu- Kym!!!! I did not know who is she....she stood beside me and keeps staring at me and look thru my eyes and i cant bear not to say hi to this beautiful lady. I m totally straight ok!!! When i read her blog, then i realized that she is not that innocent as she appears to. She appears to have slept with lots of guys before and she couragely shared her experiences on the net. But seriously, she could pass off as a very nice lady easily."

Frank Chong Sze Hong said...

Don't worry, at least you have your fans! Anyway, once a friend told me; a woman who always flashes her assets, is not a woman. A woman who never flashes her assets, is a beautiful woman.

Anonymous said...

Steven Lim,

For a person like you who finds a girl attractive, you sure have chosen the best of words to insult the girl although it is likely there was no such intention.

At the same time too, you tell the whole world (which includes girls lol) how lacking you are in your IQ and how clumsy you are with your EQ!

Girls may fall for your good looks but the ones with class will look elsewhere with this inept display of yours.

You have done the right thing to try to put things right...but if you are a real man, u still owe her a straight apology.

curious cat

Anonymous said...

Frank,

if you believe your friend that a woman who never flashes her assets is a beautiful woman, I'm afraid that woman has some hidden problem in her personality or character. You best avoid that so called "beautiful" woman. keke

curious cat

Anonymous said...

Frank,

What the fish am i saying? Pls ignore my remarks about ladies who dont have assets do not flash them coz they have personality problems, my apologies to you and to the ladies who dont have assets to flash! i dont know what rubbish i was saying. I must be the mad one lol

curious cat

Alvinology said...

Hi Alvin here, the organiser. Glad that you enjoyed yourself at the awards. :) Hope to see you again in next year.

Fyi, the two bloggers who performed, Silver and Kanny both did not lip-sync, but sang live.

They were chosen to perform because they were finalists and we wanted the award to be a platform for bloggers to shine.

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I would like to see Yu-Kym perform the Goddess and Slave skit on stage in the next blog awards. lol

Just dont ask me to be the slave! lol

curious cat

Yu-Kym said...

curious cat, I'm happy with being a finalist for this year and last year. My ambition isn't to be solely a professional blogger so not winning is fine and I'll still continue to write.

David, thanks! But I got bitten by bugs there! :(

Steven Lim, all the best to you too!

Frank, in your opinion what is considered "flash"? Some people might think I flash too.

curious cat, I think that would be more appropriate for a munch (social gathering for people involved in or interested in BDSM). I doubt BDSM would be the theme for next year's awards!

Hi Alvin, my mistake for assuming that they lip sync-ed. The mixing was so good it sounded like it was recorded. The sound crew was good!

Anonymous said...

Yu-Kym

Good, pls continue to write. I will continue to read and critique. keke

And I've already told you.. insects are attracted to you coz of the distinctive secretions only your body produces. That's why u are bitten more often than not. keke

My dear, you are galaxies away from "flashing point". Only those who are sexually starved think you have done enough to excite their hormones. But i think you are "flashing" just about right. Your words speaks for your talent...your body keep for your man! keke

I guess BDSM to the extent you wrote will never be a theme in singapore's blog awards nor in the privacy of the Goddess'es sanctuary. keke

curious cat

Anonymous said...

Yu-Kym

I was browsing through your various postings when i chance upon your picture at the blog awards again.

I know i shouldnt..but since i'm anonymous and will escape grievous harm, I am just wondering when i re-look at your pic.....Are you getting plump? lol

curious cat

Yu-Kym said...

curious cat, clothes and camera angle can cause optical illusions. My body is still the same as in June. http://yu-kym.blogspot.com/2010/06/weight-gain-progress-photos.html

Anonymous said...

Yu-Kym

Do you censor comment contributions to your blogs?

curious cat

Yu-Kym said...

I delete comments that have nothing to do with the topic of discussion such as advertisements, vulgarities, threats and scoldings.

Anonymous said...

Yu-Kym,

Do you delete unflattering comments on your physical appearance? hehe

curious cat