Review: Asus EEE PC Seashell T101MT Netbook

13
I remember watching sci-fi and futuristic movies in which the actors would point to computer screens to enlarge and move images around. I used to think to myself: Pointing on the screen doesn't do anything, you'll have to use a mouse, idiot! Now I'm the idiot in the cafe who's constantly touching the screen on my netbook!

I bought my Asus Eee PC Seashell T101MT netbook for $725 (I negotiated for a price lower than the list price) at the PC Show last month and I'm very happy with it so far :) I'm also happy that my cats have found a new home :)



Specifications


1. Touchscreen
The touchscreen function is responsive and I can use my fingernail. I don't need to bring a mouse out with me anymore!

2. Handwriting
You can write on the screen with your finger or the stylus provided. There's also a soft keyboard. The handwriting recognition software is terribly slow compared to the one on my Sony Ericsson Xperia 1 and is not worth the effort to use.

My 1-year old Sony Ericsson Xperia handphone looks dated


3. Keyboard
The keyboard feels nice to type on and it's quieter than most other keyboards but it's slightly noisy for use in the library.

4. Input/output ports
There are 3 USB ports - enough for my wireless keyboard, modem and another device such as an external harddisk drive or my handphone.
Sound quality is alright through my headphones or speakers but the built-in speakers are just so-so.

5. Screen and display
The screen is slightly reflective but is good enough for use in areas with bright sunlight once I set the brightness of the screen to maximum. When at home, I plug in my 19" Samsung SyncMaster 940NW monitor which I bought 3 years ago. After installing the driver for the monitor, the display resolution changes automatically whenever I plug in my monitor.

6. Battery life
Battery life is good - I can get about 5 hours of usage with Internet surfing using a USB modem and audio playback.

7. Performance
Performance-wise, I occasionally get a skip in my audio playback when I'm trying to do too many things at the same time. Programs don't load terribly fast but it's not terribly slow either.

8. Convertible tablet
The screen can be swivelled around to convert into tablet. It's handy but I've not had the need for that yet.



9. Weight
1.3kg is acceptable for a netbook. It's lighter than laptops. A manageable weight for me.

10. Appearance
Sleek and small, it comes in 2 colours: black and white. I bought the black one because I didn't want to have to keep cleaning it and white can turn yellow with age.

I've only used Dell laptops in the past. Comparing this netbook to Dell laptops, this netbook is better than expected. If my parents want to buy a netbook, I would certainly recommend this one especially because of its touchscreen capability!

13 comments:

Clear Blue Skies said...

I like ASUS.

Looks like we have similar tastes here. :)

Anonymous said...

there are thousands of other ASUS owners who also have similar tastes!

Looks like you are not alone in your clear blue skies dearie! U have lotta competition! lol

Just a bit of ribbing. pls dont take it to heart ok? keke

curious cat

Anonymous said...

can't wait for IPad instead ?lol

Yu-Kym said...

My desktop computer was going to die. I had to buy. Anyway, I need a real keyboard not soft keyboard, and I want to continue to be able to use my Microsoft wireless ergonomic keyboard. I type alot so ergonomics are important to me.

Clear Blue Skies said...

It has a web cam above the screen to record your *creative* moves.

Yu-Kym said...

I tested it to check that it works but I've never used it for "live" sessions. My camera can record video clips :)

Anonymous said...

new buy one?

David said...

Yu-Kyn,

Great review of your Netbook. I am not sure that Asus sells that model here.

There a slew of Windows 7 tablets/pad PCs, set for release this fall. That could shake up that part of market. One wonders how many netbook/tablet PCs the market can accomodate.

I use a Dell Vostro 1500 laptop. I like the 15.6" screen and full size keyboard.

My wife will have a new Vostro 3300 later today.

Configuration details:
Intel Core i3-350M Processor (2.26GHz, Dual Core/4 Threads, 3MB L3 cache)
Vostro, 3GB,DDR3,1066MHZ, 2 DIMM
250GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with Free Fall Sensor
Palmrest with Fingerprint reader
13.3 inch High Definition LED Display (1366 x 768) with anti-glare
Windows 7 Home Premium, Media
8X DVD+/-RW with double-layer DVD+/-R write capability
The 3300 also has a 2 megapixel webcam.

The 13.3" format is lighter and more compact than my 15.6" laptop yet does not give up and power or functionality.

BTW, you do pose for the most awesome tech photos. SBA should a selection for the hottest tech blog photo. You would surely win!!

David

Yu-Kym said...

Yes, I just bought this netbook and a camera.

Yu-Kym said...

David, your wife's laptop sounds great! One of my friends said he's happy to have a small device like iPhone which he can secretly use during boring functions. An iPad would be too obvious!

cliff said...

very hot !! I wish I was on the laptop.

Anonymous said...

Huhhhh? Are you thinking right Cliff?

Would u rather be on top of her or she on you? lol

curious cat

Anonymous said...

on the top of her flex thigh on a missionary ..curious cat