New Year Resolutions - Review

11
It's time to review my progress for the first half of this year. I was feeling rather nervous about it because I didn't feel like I made good progress. However, the results turned out to be better than expected. I suppose this is why it's good to be list everything out - what I feel many not always represent the facts.

I copied out my goals from [New year goals and resolutions - Part 3].

-------------
Goals:
1. Physical Health
a. I exercise at least twice a week.
b. I eat vitamins and supplements at least every other day.
c. I look healthy and happy.

Evaluation:
I am doing well physically and health-wise. I had a bad cough which took me almost weeks to fully recover from. There was some virus going around and because I went out often I caught it too. I rest when I'm unwell - which means no exercise at all. It feels terrible not exercising. Sometimes I forget or I'm lazy to eat my supplements - maybe that's why I feel ill. I place them on my table now so that I won't need to walk to the fridge to get them.

-------------
Goals:
2. Relationships
a. I have a loving relationship with my family.
b. I am at peace with myself and people.
c. I inspire people.
d. I live in harmony with nature.
e. I do not waste time and energy on negative relationships.

Evaluation:
My relationship with my family has been good. I spent time with my dad in Melbourne and got to know my aunt and cousin. My mum has been nice to me too. I bought her beef jerky from Australia and she kept some Australian fruit cake aside specially for me.
I wasted time and energy on people who turned out to be NATO. I cut them off after I realised it.
I don't feel at peace with myself and people. I have to live as a hermit but I feel bad about not making time to meet my friends. But I feel stressed out if I have appointments to keep and I can't concentrate on writing. I am trying not to think too much about it but just execute (writing) according to plan.

-------------
Goals:
3. Values and Psychological Health
a. I am true to myself.
b. I am an honest person in all aspects of my life.
c. I have courage to follow my dreams and live life with passion.
d. I put in my best effort in all that I do.
e. I am never discouraged; I stay hopeful and keep trying.
f. I love myself.

Evaluation:
I think I fared badly here mainly because of my lack of progress with my book. I am not courageous enough and I don't think I have put in my best effort. Contests are distracting (thanks for voting for me). I hoped to win some bragging rights but I didn't. I'll have to remind myself that just like a great blog doesn't need a title to get readers, a great book doesn't need a blog award to sell.

There will be some changes coming up soon and I feel nervous and tend to worry about them.

-------------
Goals:
4. Financial
a. I have adequate life and health insurance.
b. I get 5% returns from investments.
c. I develop a product which I believe in and am proud to sell by the end of 2010.
d. My net worth would be SGD1 million by 2020.

Evaluation:
My life and health insurance are in place. I bought 80k more coverage on life and major illnesses early this year. I surprised myself with my investments. I regretted buying unit trust with my CPF money in Dec. I made a loss on that after deducting the sales and management fees. Despite that, my overall investments still outperformed the market. In case you're wondering, I do not use any financial instruments or products and I don't borrow money to trade. I will probably be able to release my book by end of this year. I may be writing for a magazine too. I won't say it's my financial plan but it's a publication that I've been wishing I could write for.


Overall evaluation:
Doing well overall. Completing the book will be the focus for the next half of the year. For a while I was trying to motivate myself to write by thinking of the potential income. It didn't work. I realised that it's not the income that motivates me but my love for sharing and knowing that people enjoyed reading what I write that makes me want to write. With this thought in mind, and without the distractions of contests and NATO people, I shall write.

11 comments:

David said...

Yu-Kym,

Your self analysis is very good if not a bit harsh on yourself.

Writing a book is a daunting process, and most authors encounter periods where the ideas and words simply do not come easily.

That is when you need to work on what you do best, be it updating this blog or physical exercise.

Distractions happen, so enjoy them as long they do on divert you to long or at high cost.

I am confident your book will surprise SG and that you will be amazed at the publics reaction. It will be neither as good nor as bad as one could expect.

Now, onward and upward...

David

Reputation is character minus what you've been caught doing.

-- Author Unknown

Anonymous said...

Yu-Kym

there are definitely some stress coming out with a new book for the first time and it will do you a lot of good if you dont restrict yourself to such a degree of hermit existence.

A little outing here and there will work wonders for your mind to recharge and refresh.

Again, dont resort to extremities like cutting yourself out completely from all contact with friends.

curious cat

Yu-Kym said...

David, I acknowledge that I tend to be harsh on myself. I am not the best I can be yet so I'm not happy with my progress. I have lots of ideas but lack the motivation and "mood" to write.

curious cat, I made the most progress with writing when I lived as a hermit in March/April. I have to do what works for me.

Anonymous said...

But Yu-Kym its precisely that the situation is slightly different now... you have reached a mental block that impedes on your motivation or inspiration.

So its time to take a short break and then come back to your recluse state lol re-energised!

You can be so obstinate in your ways as to being blind to take a different track when the situation demands it.

This is one prerogative of a woman i wont accord you coz i hate to see you in a state of limbo with nothing positive arising.

curious cat

Yu-Kym said...

What I'm having is not a mental block but stress from having to keep appointments, people's late-coming, traffic and everything associated with meeting people.

Anonymous said...

hahaha an appointment or two with close friends just to break the monotony can be such a drudgery?

Might as well not go to the blog awards. lol It's more of a stress i think.

gosh Yu-Kym I'm amazed at you. ok then.stay out of contact ....i've dished out my advice but it's your time, your book, your life.

curious cat

Anonymous said...

I am just curios how do U going to achieve a net worth of SG$1M in 10 years time?

Unless you owe a SG400K flat now and the value double in 10 years time + some saving of your own from the sale of yr book or mag by then... then it is possible.

Can to share your investment plan?

Matsusan

Anonymous said...

Matsusan

By writing her lots of sell-out books as SSG or Singapore's Sexiest Sex Guru! lol

Over 10 yrs she may even surpass that if she has the luck. Coz she certainly has a talent for writing.

curious cat

Yu-Kym said...

Matsusan, even owning a flat worth S$400K is no guarantee. Books are one of the products that I will sell. I'm taking one step at a time for now.

Anonymous said...

Yu-Kym

You may have the book all written up, your other ideas in your head!

But if you dont have the timeliness or the astuteness to catch "the moment" or to strike whilst the iron is hot before anyone else or before the novelty of it all fizzles out; and/or u lack a shrewd business strategy, the right marketing, etc all your efforts will not amount to much.

Likey you will still make it, you will not fail coz the venture, idea or your book is still a good one but success will not be to the extent of your dreams.

So if you have book and ideas, put them into fruition with a sense of prudent urgency and zeal. U go girl says Anita Sarawak! hehe

curious cat

Yu-Kym said...

curious cat, I agree that there is a window of opportunity (http://yu-kym.blogspot.com/2010/06/window-of-opportunity.html) and I'll have to make the most of it.