The window of opportunity

6
Whenever opportunities present themselves there is always a time frame within which we must react to seize the opportunity. E.g. A job offer, a place in university, discounts in stores. Carpe Diem they say - meaning seize the day.


Pronounced as Carpe (CAR-PAY) Diem (DEE-EM), not KOPI DIAM.
The origin source for the Latin phrase is Horace - in Odes Book I (from phrases.org.uk):
Dum loquimur, fugerit invida Aetas: carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
which translates as:
While we're talking, envious time is fleeing: seize the day, put no trust in the future.


Rarely would you find an opportunity which remains forever. E.g. A marriage proposal even if it remains open for acceptance for year, the situation will not be the same: five year later both would be older and less fertile, and both may be more mature and financially able to afford to pay for the wedding and the house.

If you say or do something offensive, usually, the earlier you realise it and apologise the more likely you are to be forgiven. The window of opportunity is often small and some people miss it. But why should they be complaining? They should be grateful for that opportunity. If they failed to seize it, they have only themselves to blame.

I may be interested in a guy but if he does not respond to me in a way that I would like him to, that's fine. Perhaps he is not emotionally or financially ready to take me on, or I’m not his type. But if he wants me sometime later, even if I am still unattached my interest in him may have died off.

Call it whatever you want – fate, destiny, will of God, wrong timing, whatever – but when the opportunity is gone, it’s usually gone forever. So, Carpe Diem.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

do you usually give hint to a guy you interested in before he can even take the leap?

David said...

Yu-Kym,

Are relating this from personal experience, or from a social observation pov?

I do agree that many opportunities are only presented once, and often for a very short period of time.

Very insightful post!

David

We can forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

-- Plato

Yu-Kym said...

Anon, I don't give hints. If I have something to say, I'll say it. And guys usually try their luck anyway even if I don't show any indication of interest for them.

David, both. People often miss out on opportunities because they think something better will come along. People are usually willing to extend forgiveness but for a limited time only!

Anonymous said...

Yes absolutely, carpe diem! which i believe is not to say that one should have a fatalistic mentality when an opportunity is missed. Or is it Yu-Kym?

Yu-Kym, u remarked "I may be interested in a guy but if he does not respond to me in a way that I would like him to, that's fine."

How then do u indicate your "interest"?

curious cat

Yu-Kym said...

Meeting him often - once a week or more - is a sign of interest.

Anonymous said...

You're absolutely right Yu-Kym! How silly of me not to have thought of that!

I had envisaged your answer to be as follows: "If I am interested in the guy, he will know. If not, he's not my kind of a man!" keke

curious cat