Thoughts on my last day of work

9
Today was the last day in the office. My friends teasingly asked whether I packed all my things into a big cardboard box like we always see on TV. I didn't have a box but I had a big brown paper bag instead.



Maybe I'm happy. I know I appear happy in the picture. I didn't celebrate my last day in any way. I am relieved and very tired. It's the kind of relief and tiredness that makes me cry. I knew all along that I was not a person in the eyes of the organisation - only a resource - one that is replaceable and dispensable but I had spent countless nights working and so much energy dealing with the stress of work. Even after I resigned, I still made an effort, knowing that I would not get anything extra from doing that. Indeed, what's not worth doing is not worth doing well. I tend to do the best that I can even if it hurts me. That's why I need to move on to something that's worth doing.

I didn't have an appetite for dinner. I only had iced milo. I'll try to sleep early tonight because tomorrow is definitely a day to jump out of bed to do all the things that I love!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nevertheless, all the best Kym...

Anonymous said...

Hi Yu-kym

Wish you all the best! I envy your courage to give up your comfort zone to pursue your dreams!

gruntpartystyle said...

Good luck and enjoy your free time. When will you start writing? BTW, what was your ex-job ?

Anonymous said...

gud luck and all the best

Perhaps you can try a place in a university?

lehlew pengyiu said...

Good luck to you on your future endeavors!!! My last day at work was Feb 10, after working at the company for 11 years...

Yu-Kym said...

Thanks everyone!

gruntpartystyle, I'm going to start writing towards the end of February.

Professor, try a place in university for?

lehlew pengyiu, good luck to you too! 11 years is very long. Why did you quit?

lehlew pengyiu said...

Leaving my comfort zone for more money, higher position, and to do something that I like better. Well, the trigger was still because of the management.. but i have to thank them. hahaha!!!

Yu-Kym said...

Congrats! Agree... have to "thank" management for providing strong push factors.