He gave me oral and charged me $15 for 4 squirts

10
He stuffed his fingers in my mouth and said that I needed it. How could I protest when his fingers were already in my mouth? He some liquid squirted 4 times onto my gums. Gosh, it hurt. He proceeded to do the usual scaling and polishing - nothing out of the ordinary. At some point he was calling out some alphabets and numbers to his assistant. After that he told me that my wisdom teeth were beneath my gums and sent me on my way.

The assistant told me that the bill was $75 and handed me a bottle of mouthwash. I questioned why the bill was $75 instead of the usual $50 that I pay there on my previous visits. She explained that $5 was for the mouthwash, $5 was for charting my teeth and $65 was for scaling and polishing. I said I didn't want the mouthwash and I did not ask for the charting - all I said I wanted was scaling and polishing which I normally pay $50 for. She went in to check with the dentist and came back out to tell me that I have to pay $65 instead of $50 this time because of the liquid sprayed. She tried to bullshit her way through saying that the liquid which the dentist sprayed on my teeth was to remove tough stains - which was utter nonsense because he sprayed my gums not my teeth. I argued that $15 was too much to pay for the liquid and if I had to pay $65 I won't come back here again. I also said I had gone all the way there to that dentist although I don't live there because I they had always charged me $50 in the past, and I was jobless. I asked whether I can get a discount because I usually pay $50. (When everything else fails in negotiations, I try using emotions). She said there can be no discount and advised me to pay up.

Now, if I didn't need a receipt, I would have just handed over $50 and left but I needed one so I paid $65 and told her to tell her boss that I won't be coming back ever again.

I don't think I was being unreasonable. I didn't need the $5 charting to tell me things about my teeth which I already know. Clearly, this was to extract another $5 from each patient to fund his next holiday to the Caribbean or somewhere. Neither did I need the $5 mouthwash. The most ridiculous charge was the $15 which he made me pay for 4 squirts of liquid. What kind of liquid costs $15 for 4 squirts? Semen??

This is the clinic I went to: Universe Dental Surgery. #01-144, 164 Bukit Batok Street 11, Singapore 650164.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about a stereo system for a squirt? Then the epitath "The Inseminator." If the girl really wants it then who is to deny? "Give it up." 1-2-3-4-5 days? No problem. Oops! Think maybe it was 8 days. Will that make a difference? (Hope so)

Mah said...

Blog on it, is a way. The other way is to lodge a complaint with consumer tribunal or the medical professional council. This will leave an impact to the clinic, instead letting it get away with ridiculous charges. You might not be the only victim.

Anonymous said...

i got charged $10 for consultation by my dentist...WTF do i need that for? i too am not going back to that dentist

Anonymous said...

You stay around Bukit Batok area?

Yu-Kym said...

Ya, who needs the "consultation"! Some dentists charge $20 for that.

I used to stay at Bukit Batok. That's why I went back there to visit the same dentist.

Anonymous said...

Hi Yu-Kym,

I saw a dentist for a pain at an area around the upper molars. He tap the molars and told me that one of them was the one causing the pain. As I had visited him without an appointment, and the treatment was a lengthly root canal work; he could not treat me immediately. I was still charged a fee - I cant remember the amount.
Anyway the pain was so bad I called several dentists before getting one willing to treat me immediately.
This dentist discovered that the molar causing the pain was a different one!
Imagine if the previous dentist had carried out the work on the wrong tooth. The pain would not have gone away and a second treatment would have been necessary.
$1250 - that's the price of root canal work on one molar tooth. I have root canal done on other teeth for around that price.
I had no choice but to proceed. Medisave cannot be used to pay for dental surgery. This policy by our government is ridiculous!
The first dentist works for a public-listed group of Dentists. Not all their dentists are incompetant because I have visited their other branches and the dentists there are ok.
If anyone knows about a cheaper root canal work, please share it. Thanks!

Yu-Kym said...

I've heard how expensive root canal costs! It's really scary that the dentist identified the wrong tooth.
My sister had her wisdom tooth removed and a few years later she felt pain there. She went back to the same dentist and he said that the tooth was not completely removed - some roots were stuck in there. To remove the roots, she would have to pay for surgery again!

Anonymous said...

I've read ur entire post on this and am here to enlighten u on what the dentist was doing.
The treatment that u described as "spraying of liquid" is actually known as polishing using a prophylaxis jet. Dentists use that as a form of removal of tough stains when conventional polishing with the paste doesn't work.
If you don't prefer it to be done because of the expense or the pain, you can always inform that dentist.
Just my 2cents worth :)

Yu-Kym said...

He sprayed my gums not my teeth though. He did it right at the start.

Anonymous said...

I think the price will be about the same wherever you go. In the past, doctors and dentists will charge a lump sum for everything...now they are required to itemize the bill. So lots of innovation now: you can be charged for whatever spray and materials needed for your treatment individually. I know some will charge you for every pair of gloves, every cotton bud and every mask that is used. Let's see...maybe in future they will charge you for the use of the dental chair, the cost of electricity, maybe the water used when you gurgle..