Announcement: I quit my job to be a writer

21
I got a better offer: I offered myself the chance to live my passion and to become a millionaire!

How? I'm going to write and self-publish books! The product(s) that I'm going to create and sell are my books.

I struggled for a long time to find my passion. Now I've found it - it's writing! I've been writing for a year and I still love it. Many people (yes, you!) have been reading my articles here and they're still coming back. (You're not leaving comments but I know you're out there :)

I also struggled to find something that's meaningful and a way to contribute to society. I know that hands-on work like building schools for children or volunteering to work with the elderly wasn't my thing.

I know many people (and I am one such person) who chose the so-called tried and test path of getting an education and working in a big company to climb the corporate ladder, ended up with low sex drives, broken relationships, retrenchments, obsolescence, illnesses or even dropping dead and being very unhappy with their lives. Why live this way? Is life worth living this way?

The worst that could happen would be for me to fail miserably, end up penniless and have to crawl back to the job market with my tail between my legs. The point is: I won't know till I've tried.

I can't reveal the titles or content of the books yet but they will be bold, provocative and brutally honest!

I'm placing all my eggs in this one basket. I believe so much in this that I'm going to use my own money to get my books published. If you would like to help me carry or cushion the basket by helping with design, printing, marketing, distribution, etc, please drop me an email.
I'm ambitious. I was told, "Aim for the moon so that if you fail you'll still be among the stars."
My vision for my books: wildly successful!!
Will you be here when that happens? :)


Top 3 quotes that influenced me in making my decision:
"What's not worth doing is not worth doing well." - Warren Buffett

"Everybody is an expert in giving advice on how you cannot do something." - Maria Elena Ibanez.
(I'm sure some people would think I'm stupid or crazy. I'm not going to try to convince anyone otherwise.)

"Mastery is often simply staying on the path" - Richard Strozzi-Heckler, In Search of the Warrior Spirit: Teaching Awareness Disciplines to the Green Berets
(I'm going to stay focused on writing and publishing my book.)


I mentioned in my posts [To make money, you must sell something] and [If you want to be a millionaire, quit your job]. Well, I practice what I preach, don't I? :)

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am an editor, if you need one respond on the blog, and i will pass my email add

Yu-Kym said...

Hi, can you email me at gal2000@live.com.sg . Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hi Yu-Kym

Really happy for you that you find your calling in life and willing to take the plunge with a road less travelled.

Not sure whether what help I can provide, but if you in any case do need any assistance with proofreading, ... , etc just leave a note on your blog.

I will be rooting for you.

All the best with your chosen path in life.

Hayek

Jeremy said...

Yu Kym,

Hi, for one, the silent reader, Jeremy will help by publicising your books for you.

I will also contribute in writing the comments after reading it, provided my words still carry some substance in them.

I will even help in the photography of any visuals, provided my skills are deem professional.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I'm your loyal reader :)

Anonymous said...

hi, just found this blog recently, very interesting, i will never miss to read your post, good luck, i will support you, btw
im adam 30yrs old from kl

ImmortalBel said...

Hi
I have been reading your blogs since I found out about it and I think you do have what it takes to be a good writer. It is a bold move to chase your dream and I admire your boldness. Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

Gud luck and all the best!

From : Kuching

Anonymous said...

Hi woman.. i haven't been following ( and yes,I confess that i'm one of your non-commenting readers from malaysia) for a couple of months now.

The first title to pop-up was this announcement; (I thought i got the wrong blog )to be a full-fledge writer? well congrats and start shooting at the moon already

I'm in the publishing line,by the way. And your good intentions to be a self-publisher? Great. My experience is in the design-edit-layout-print division. What's more, things are like a fraction cheaper here across the border in Malaysia. If you're game; lets go !


write me sometime,ya.
sherpeng@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

We support you....

Anonymous said...

All the best. Will buy your masterpiece! Cheers!

yg said...

hi yu-kym,

i'll say it in this song:

Here's the chance of life, get ready, set, fly high.
Above the fear of your mind, go for it.
It's hit or miss, too late for you to quit.
You gotta show 'em how bad you really want this, so...

Live your dreams, it's not as hard as it may seem.
You gotta work to get the cream
on you're hopes you must lean,
From your fears, you have to ween yourself.
It's all or nothing, give your everything...

Are what you believe, you got to bring the heat.
Set the pace, competition take the lead.
This is it, all eyes on you.
So stay on point and prove,
that you deserve whats long overdue.

Live your dreams, it's not as hard as it may seem.
You gotta work to get the cream
on you're hopes you must lean,
From your fears, you have to ween yourself.
It's all or nothing, give your everything...


one of your followers

Anonymous said...

Yu Kym,
You don't need to quit your job to write. But I admire u for that bold move.
I was reading today about writer Lisa See. Hope u become as successful as she.
We love u, sex godess, u can do it.
Kfr

Anonymous said...

Go for it yu kym !
Do tell us when your book's published .
I'm sure gonna get a copy . (:


ISABELLE .

~Pink Miu Miu~ said...

Wow Kym, u have made a bold step to fulfill your passion/dream and bet u must have struggling moments to work this through...

It's not easy but it's not impossible and i think u write very well and yes, quite looking forward to your provocative or brutally honest masterpiece! Cheers :)

Will post a book review on my blog and yes, muz support our own local writers :P

Warmest regards
Pink Miu Miu

yg said...

hi yu-kym,

forgot to mention that the lyrics of the song come from 'live your dreams' sung by athena cage.

wishing you all the best.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kym,

Yes, I am one of your silent readers. And this is my first time commenting on your blog. I never miss to read your posts and will always support you. I love the way you are for being frank and open-minded.

To introduce myself,I am 30 yrs old guy from down under. But I am not an Ang Moh. :)

With Love,

SHYN

Anonymous said...

Hi Kym

May all your wishes come true.

Good Luck and Kind Regards

Kim Poh

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Just a little suggestion: Proof-read in greater detail?

helios said...

Yes, another silent reader here, and it is always great to have the courage to pursue your dream, keep it up and I can see a rising star!

Yu-Kym said...

Thank you for your well-wishes, support and confidence in me! It really means alot!

About proof-reading:
Thanks for your offers in helping to proof-read! One of my resolutions in the previous year was NOT to proof-read my blog. I was trying to overcome being a perfectionist :) But when it comes to writing a book, of course I will proof-read and get one or two other people to proof-read too.

About not having to quit my job to write:
My job was mentally very stressful. It requires me to work at night sometimes on short notice. The situation made it impossible for me to write well.