My 10 cents' worth

8
I used to have lunch and dinner regularly at a coffee shop near where I live. Milk tea with ice (teh si peng) costs $1 there. I sometimes buy breakfast from a small shop nearby so I walk over to his coffee shop to buy tea. The tea used to cost $1. After buying tea for about 10 times, suddenly the owner told me, drinking here $1, take away add 10 cents so it's $1.10. I know some shop charge extra for giving you a styrofoam or plastic cup but all I got was my tea in a tiny plastic bag. Does the plastic bag cost 10 cents? Many other places, even in town, do not charge extra for a styrofoam or plastic cup.

True, it's only 10 cents but it's not just the money - it's the principle. I feel he's taking advantage of a regular customer. His attitude is completely different from other shop owners who would sometimes give me a discount (which I don't always accept) or if they don't have enough change for a large note they just tell me that I can pay them back the next time - they know I'm not going to run away just to avoid paying $1 back.

I don't eat or drink at that coffee shop as often now. When I buy food from the shops there I either buy takeaway or eat there but half the time I don't buy a drink. Sounds petty but why should I pay him $1 after he extracted 10 cents more from me for nothing? I didn't question him about the extra 10 cent charge because even if he agreed not to charge it, I still might not buy tea from him anymore. There are other shops nearby that sell tea!

8 comments:

Anthony said...

Not counting the conversion rates, how I wish I could find a cup of teh si peng for RM1.00 in Malaysia! sigh...where can get such cheap stuff!

Denis said...

Yes totally agreed, It's the principle

Mr Choo said...

Wanna know what's worst?
You are paying extra 10 cents for getting higher chance of breast cancer.
Research had found out that, hot water or food does have some chemical reactions on the plastic bag/container.
It's called Dioxin.
Dioxin chemicals cause cancer,
especially breast cancer. Dioxins are highly poisonous to the cells of our bodies.
so, it's better to bring your own stainless steel container instead the next time you wanna take away.

Anonymous said...

i enjoy reading ur blog more than... :)

Homely Guy said...

Ya, i agree with u ... it's not the money but the principle ...

Btw, in singapore, 1 S11 coffee shop near my place charge me SGD1.40 for ice milo in those small plastic bag ... once is enough and i never buy drinks from there again ... lol

I understand their business have to earn money but then, also cannot be so ridiculous mah

I buy elsewhere, only SGD1.20 or some still charge SGD1, though a bit diluted lor

Anonymous said...

normally, if they charge 10cents more, they should fill in more tea for you to take away. Thats y sometimes, take away drinks come in larger size...

Yu-Kym said...

I'd better make sure I takeaway only iced drinks!
The coffee shop owner explained that takeaway is 10 cents more after about a month. Besides, the guy who made the tea wanted to charge me $1, but the owner stepped in and said it's $1 :(

Hayabusa said...

What a jerk!! what kinda assholes would go overcharge their regulars rather giv'em discounts instead??!! for me, if its 1 buck 10 right from the start, then it's ok. but heck!! hiking the price after you've bought there for 10 times??? that's just ridiculous!!