Do you read?

8
This is one of the questions I ask guys. Here are 3 common responses:
"No, I don't. I should probably try to read more."
"Yes. I read the newspapers and work-related documents."
"Yes. My favourite book is Tuesdays with Morrie." (I heard that some guys like to carry this book around or pretend to read it so that they appear more sensitive and intellectual.)

The best answer yet:
"No. I already know everything."
LOL

Just in case you think that all I do is blog and masturbate (not that I really care what you think :P ), I'd like to mention that I enjoy reading too. I hardly read the newspapers and I only read 1 blog (about interesting places and sights in Singapore). I've read a total of 38 books in the past 12 months - so that's an average of 1 book every 10 days. I don't think books are necessarily superior to or better than reading blogs - it really depends on the actual content. And just because everybody reads it, doesn't mean it's the best.

Here's what I've read in the past year:

Non-fiction (I like the first 9, my favourites are in bold font)
1. The Art of Pricing: How to Find the Hidden Profits to Grow Your Business
by Rafi Mohammed
2. 21 Dirty Tricks at Work: How to Win at Office Politics
by Mike Phipps
3. The Backdoor to Enlightenment: Eight Steps to Living Your Dreams and Changing...
by Za Rinpoche
4. Small Is the New Big: and 183 Other Riffs, Rants, and Remarkable Business Ideas
by Seth Godin
5. Trump: The Art of the Deal
by Donald J. Trump
6. How to Spot a Dangerous Man Before You Get Involved: Describes 8 Types of Dan...
by Sandra L. Brown
7. The CR Way: Using the Secrets of Calorie Restriction for a Longer, Healthier ...
by Paul Mcglothin
8. Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon
by Daniel C. Dennett
9. The Scent of Desire: Discovering Our Enigmatic Sense of Smell
by Rachel Herz
10. Bluff Your Way in Management (The Bluffer's Guides)
by John Courtis
11. The Way of the Rat: A Survival Guide to Office Politics
by Joep P. M. Schrijvers
12. The 28 Laws of Attraction: Stop Chasing Success and Let It Chase You
by Thomas J. Leonard
13. The Lazy Millionaire: The Art of Being on Vacation All of the Time!
by Mary Ward
14. Trump: The Best Real Estate Advice I Ever Received: 100 Top Experts Share The...
by Donald J. Trump
15. Trump: How to Get Rich
by Donald J. Trump
16. Seven Years to Seven Figures: The Fast-Track Plan to Becoming a Millionaire
by Michael Masterson
17.Real You Incorporated: 8 Essentials for Women Entrepreneurs
by Kaira Sturdivant Rouda
18. Jacked Up: The Inside Story of How Jack Welch Talked GE into Becoming the Wor...
by Bill Lane
19. The Hollywood Book of Extravagance: The Totally Infamous, Mostly Disastrous, ...
by James Robert Parish
20. The Self Matters Companion : Helping You Create Your Life from the Inside Out
by Phillip C. McGraw
21. Oceanic Wilderness
by Roger Steene
22. Underwater jungles : Sarawak


Fiction (My favourites are in bold font. I love the endings.)
1. Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress: A Novel
by Dai Sijie
2. Of Mice and Men
by John Steinbeck
3. Lady into Fox
by David Garnett
4. Dark Prince
by David Gemmell
5. Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad, Book 1)
by David Eddings
6. Queen of Sorcery (The Belgariad, Book 2)
by David Eddings
7. Magician's Gambit (The Belgariad, Book 3)
by David Eddings
8. Castle of Wizardry (The Belgariad, Book 4)
by David Eddings
9. Enchanters' End Game (The Belgariad, Book 5)
by David Eddings
10. The Lady of Burma (Oberon Modern Plays)
by Richard Shannon
11. Chicken Soup for the Working Woman's Soul: Humorous and Inspirational Stories...
by Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen, Chrissy Donnelly, Mark Donnelly
12. Martin Misunderstood
by Karin Slaughter
13. Fractured
by Karin Slaughter
14. Stones in His Pockets: A Play
by Marie Jones with an Introduction by Mel Gussow
15. Home and away
16. The Hangman's Knot
by David Wiltse

8 comments:

David said...

Yu-Kym,

An interesting reading list.

May I offer suggested readings that would offer you some different points of view and balance opinions?

BTW, these are books I have read or am reading.

Swear to God: by Scott Hahn,ISBN-10: 0385509316

What's So Great about Christianity, by Dinesh D'Souza, ISBN-10: 1414326017

Life-Giving Love : Embracing God's Beautiful Design for Marriage, ISBN-10: 1569552924

Basic Economics 3rd Ed: A Common Sense Guide to the Economy, by Thomas Sowell
ISBN-10: 0465002609

All the above are available at Amazon.com's international sites, and no doubt local book stores.

Are you open to more than one point of view?

Do you welcome ideas that will challenge what think might be right? If you can answer yes, or are simply curious, I encourage you to read the above books.

Send me a PM if you find these books to expensive or not locally available.

David
Warren,Michigan
U.S.A.

Anonymous said...

I just hate it when my friends say they don't read 'cause its "stupid"..I think it's awesome that you read so much. Have you ever read any chuck palahniuk? he's my fave writer. xx

Anonymous said...

From you articles, I know you read. It shows when someone reads. I do believe there are many life secrets in books

Anthony said...

I personally like all law fiction written by John Grisham. I think he is a fabulous writer in this area.

~Pink Miu Miu~ said...

I am surrounded by books daily so i read :) juz finished reading "Criminal Intent".. i like this entry and yr long list of reads perhaps recommended reads :)

Yu-Kym said...

Thanks everyone for your recommendation. I'll look those up when I'm in the mood for those topics :)

I've never read books by chuck palahniuk but they sound interesting. I've not read books by John Grisham or "Criminal Intent" either.

My recommended reads are the first 9 in non-fiction. The books listed under Fiction are all good but the ones in bold are my favourites.

Anonymous said...

You have read lots of books on picking stocks, how to get rich (husband?) and Warren Buffett.

So do you make lots of money on the stock market?

Yu-Kym said...

"Lots of money" is relative. My investments outperformed my selected benchmarks over the past 6 months.