Quit smoking for me

7
Did you participate in the No Tobacco Day this yesterday (31 May)?

Smoking is pretty much condemned in Singapore. Smoking is allowed only at certain tiny squares away from buildings, certain assigned tables at eateries and the smoking corner. Remember when being made to sit in a corner was a form of punishment? Now smokers have to punish themselves by sitting or standing in a corner or standing round a rubbish bin! How glamorous is that? It's interesting that smoking used to be perceived as "cool" 10 years ago. I took this picture of a tree branch that had fallen on the tables at the smoking corner. Smoking kills!


No, I don't feel much pity for smokers. I dislike the smoke and the smell. Whenever I walk pass the smoking corner between Equity Plaza and Republic Plaza 2, I literally have to walk through a smoke screen! I don't believe in God or religion anymore but I learnt one thing which makes sense: Condemn the act but love the person. [Read my previous post, Catholic turned Atheist.]

I've had a few boyfriends who supposedly gave up smoking "for me". It's something that was done for their own health and I all I did was to provide some form of motivation. But when it's time to argue or break up, they stated that it was something they did "for me".

Although I do agree with the "condemn the act but love the person" teaching, I've got better things to do than to wait around for some guy to quit smoking. I rather get a "ready made" smoke-free version. At least there'll be one thing less to argue about.

7 comments:

Aaron said...

Love your blog! You mentioned you graduated as an engineer. What discipline? Mine was electronics but practising as an environmental engineer

Yu-Kym said...

Hi Aaron, thanks for reading! I did electrical engrg - majored in computer engrg.

Aaron said...

Just watched the kid play guitar. That was fabulous. I have notplayed guitar for a long time though I still have my violin. But my repertoire's mostly classical Bach thoughI can manage some simple Vivaldi pieces.

Do share your views on classical music and whether youplay an instrument.

Yu-Kym said...

Aaron, keep practising! So you can serenade your sweetheart :P
I didn't study music formally. Used to play flute and percussion in secondary school, and guitar in college. But I don't play anymore. Hoping a guy would serenade me instead!

Anonymous said...

Yu-Kym

If you have to argue with your boyfriend to encourage him to cut down or stop smoking gradually, then it's a sign of future problems. Best stop the relationship.

But if you are providing the motivation and he is always trying to improve and you recognise that such habit takes effort and time to eradicate completely; and it is not a conflict or frustrating situation for the both of you, then why give up on him for a "ready made" non-smoking version?

You think your next boyfriend dont have any flaws? You think it will truly be one less habit to argue about? Think again my dear.

Stick to the one you have found and love. If he has flaws like cigarette smoking and he shows encouraging signs to change for the better, keep at building the relationship stronger.

If you feel that this is a chore even for the man you love, then you are on the wrong track as to what a relationship is about.

curious cat

Yu-Kym said...

curious cat, taking care of one's body is respect and gratitude for one's health. If a man does not take care of his own health and well-being, I am not prepared to be the one to do it. It's personal choice. This is my choice.

Anonymous said...

Yu-Kym

A hard woman you are. hehe

But if the man you love is prepared to give a serious attempt towards a healthy lifestyle, like cutting down on smoking or whatever.... are you prepared to go through the journey with him? Stick by him till he kicks the bad habits!

curious cat