My true ghost stories

13
I was on my way out for a run at 6pm today but it started to drizzle so I went for dinner instead. The rain had stopped and the air felt cool after the rain so I couldn't resist going for a run at 9pm. I ran along the main road but it was kind of dark because the light from the street lamps were partially covered by the large trees. As I was jogging, the fragrance of Frangipani flowers suddenly filled the air. I remember my parents telling me that not to look up into the tree if I smell that fragrance at night because it marks the presence of a Pontianak, or a female vampire in Malay folklore. I resisted the urge to look up and just kept on running. But when I passed another tree with some things hanging from the tree trunk, I was slightly freaked out. Of course, it wasn't a Pontianak but I couldn't stop my imagination from running wild.

Do you believe that ghosts and vampires exist? I don't know whether they exist as supernatural beings. They could be simply a certain type of energy that comes with undetectable hallucinogens. Whatever they are, I believe that they do exist. I recall 2 encounters I've had: one felt like a malicious negative type of ghost while another was a harmless one.

I was walking with my then-bf in Bukit Batok Nature Park many years ago (this was way before a woman got raped and killed there). It was just starting to get dark and we were on our way out. Suddenly I felt a presence. The hair on the back of my neck was standing, and I held my bf's hand and walked faster and faster out of the park. He was also walking very quickly and neither of us said anything. When we reached the car park, the presence was gone. I shared with him what I felt and he told me that he had the same feeling too!

A harmless ghost inhabited my home. The ghost looked like my elder sister. We would see the ghost walking around the house from the corner of our eyes and would think it's my sis. But whenever we see the ghost, my sis would either be out of the house or she had not left her room. Our belongings like clothes and sanitary pads would also get misplaced or go missing. We concluded that it was a female ghost. None of us felt threatened by its presence. I just felt irritated that my things are not there when I wanted to use them! The ghost left on its own after a while. Maybe it "died" or went off to find a new family to torment.

There are ghost stories associated with every school or public building in Singapore. Everyone loves listening to ghost stories - even the people who totally freak out! We enjoy scaring ourselves otherwise we won't be listening to ghost stories and the "True Singapore Ghost Stories" series of books won't be bestsellers. In every school I've attended, there are always ghost stories floating around especially during stay-in camps! I'm sure people made them up but I do feel a little scared when I go to the toilet alone at night (I think it's silly to wake a friend up just because I'm frightened by fictional ghost stories). My 2 encounters that I've written here are true however. I do not wish for a 3rd to blog about!

13 comments:

simperblog said...

grandfathers will tell you that if you look from behind the sai kong robe during the 7th month, you can see all sort of ghosts...white ones, black ones, young ones, old ones...

Yu-Kym said...

Why don't you try it and tell me what you see? :P

My dad had an encounter with a Pontianak. He was riding his bike through a kampong shortcut with his friend on pillion. He heard the shrill cry of a Pontianak! He kept his eyes on the ground and kept riding. He suddenly remembered his friend was behind so he turned round to check whether his friend was still there. His friend's face was as white as a sheet! He told his friend to hold on tightly cos if his friend falls off he's NOT stopping to pick him up!

Shariff said...

Hey if you would like to share your experiences, go to http://sghc.info

Yu-Kym said...

Hi Shariff! Interesting blog! Gratz on being in top 10!

Anonymous said...

Its interesting to know you believe in ghost(s) but not in god(as you said you're atheist)....

I used to be uhmm 'free thinker' where i dun believe in god and ghost... and then i started believing in ghost but not god... but then to think again.... if there's ghost, there should be god? right?

So now, i'm a new type 'free thinker' where i believe in god and ghost, but not religions ><

Yu-Kym said...

I have felt n seen ghosts b4. My friend's wife said she is able to see ghosts.

But "ghost" may be a name for a phenomenon rather than a supernatural being. (In the same way, I believe that "God" is a name for the law and balance of nature rather than a supernatural being).

1 theory of mine: We are all contain some sort of "energy" that dissipates after we die. Some anomalies cause some ppl's energies not to be dissipated and so they remain as neither here nor there.

Another of my theory: Ghosts are a certain type of energy that come along with hallucinogens. The energy causes people to feel things and cameras to capture their "images" while the hallucinogens cause people to imagine and see things that are not there.

Anthony said...

Kym, you probably think this way because you never seen one before.

Yu-Kym said...

Actually, I had one staying in my house many years ago. It was a harmless, playful one and it went off on its own after a while.

x.Sharrr said...

Waaaaa . :/ I also believe in Ghosts and Vampires . I have not met one yet & I DO NOT WISH to . D; Thanks fr sharing these stories . Really love reading it .

Anonymous said...

What can a ghost do to you if it has no PHYSICAL SUBSTANCE, it is all "AIR" which means it cannot hit you or harm you at all!

Therefore you can ignore them completely and get them out of your wild imagination!

Anonymous said...

There's a higher probability of the existence of ghost/spirit than god...
Think about it

Anonymous said...

Yu-Kym

Looks like this sort of supernatural sensitivities run in your family huh?

Good thing your then-bf is no more. Although it is very normal to exhibit such fears (and I too would show the same), I would think that a man worth his salt would have just done a little more in such situations.

Since i am with my gf, I would say something to ease her fears and comfort her (although I myself would not believe the bravado I utter lol...here I am must admit I am a hypocrite in such situations for the sake of my gf and my male ego lol), then hold her hand, hold her close to protect her, stay put and confront the strange presence and see what transpire. I am a non believer and thats how curious I would be.

And if something does emerge that's evil and I quickly assess its not a hoax, I would have grab her and run the hell out of there quicker than anyone lol. And thereafter believe there are things in this world that i would never understand.

For now though, I believe its all in your over active mind and all bull.

There's a caveat for my foolishness here though. I would not have stood around and watch for the strange presense if I am alone. I would have vanished in a jiffy but regret later that I should have stayed. But of course I would not. I am curious but if I am alone, I am not so foolish. I am not easily frightened but I am no macho bravo either lol

silli cat

Anonymous said...

@silli cat Jan 21, 2011

Of course sir, we have all been there. You know what, if I lived in the 1940s I would personally kick the Japs and their armies all the way back to Nihon-land, then we wouldn't have the occupation and places like Fort Canning and Changi Beach wouldn't be so haunted.

Hey even though it already happened and it's so ridiculous and unrealistic, I'm so inspired by your theoretical chivalry and courage in the face of something that has not happened yet. I believe there will be a time machine I can use in the future to go back in time and kick them Jap asses. Then Hiroshima and Nagasaki would not need to be nuked, and all will remember me as a war hero.

Cool right?