How would you spend the last 24 hours of your life?

8
Let's say you know you have only 24 hours left to live. How would you spend the last hours of your life?

I know I won't be going to work for sure! Would I spend all my money? Bungee jump off the Singapore Flyer? Take the first flight out to a place that I've always wanted to visit (provided it's less than 24 hours away)? Have a ONS with a random hot guy? Go to church and pray? Perhaps I would have a last-minute change of heart about the existence of God. After all, there's no harm simply believing in God - if He exists then thank God I believed at the last minute and if He doesn't exist then no harm done either because I'll just be dead and gone.

I think the best thing to do in my last 24 hours would be to spend time with my family and people whom I love. It's interesting that while I'm alive and well, I go in search of things to do and places to go and set goals to accomplish but when faced with a hypothetical imminent death, I realise that all those don't matter at all. Who cares how many places I've visited or whether I've climbed Mount Everest? Ok, maybe some people would care. There are people who advise that it would be good to look back at one's life and be happy about what one has accomplished. There could be some wisdom in it. It would be nice to look back and be happy that I've become a self-made millionaire or best-selling author! But would that really matter to me in the final moments of my life? Would I want to indulge in self-admiration for my accomplishments or would I want to spend time with my loved ones? The answer is obvious - at least for now...

[Things To Do Before You Die]
[Fear of Dying Alone]

8 comments:

simperblog said...

Adoi deh, mati, mati lagi. eh hello you got 50 long years of life ahead so make full use of them instead of worrying about halelujah.

Yu-Kym said...

Don't worry, I'm not depressed or crying. Thinking about something is not the same as worrying. If I don't think about how to "make full use" of my life now but wait till 50 years later, I might have spent 50 years chasing red herrings. Besides, nobody knows whether I'll have 50 more years to live.

simperblog said...

I'll rephrase that, you got 50 years of living ahead, why think about halelujah.
Who can tell tomorrow, let 50 years. So the usual amitabha saying, live right, eat right,
you'll be alright...

Yu-Kym said...

When's a good time to start thinking about death?

Anonymous said...

Death is in fact a reborn into another world. Souls don't die. Our body become life less once the soul ain't there anymore. It's like a bird cage. The cage comes to life when there's a bird in it and becomes redundant when the bird is gone... ----Nicholas C

Yu-Kym said...

Hi Nicholas, the rebirth into another world and the concept of souls are (religious) beliefs. It is my belief that everyone is just dead and gone after we die.

Anonymous said...

Hi Yu-Kym, even the most skeptical scientist
are baffle and cannot disapprove the resurrection of Christ. You should read not from the Christian point but from the archaic and and historical point of view.

The Life and resurrection of Jesus Christ proves to you that there is life after death. When human dies, human will not be like a piece of leave that just fade away but more than that. Human have souls.

One question I want to leave my thoughts

Why is it that human being is the only creature that instinctively worship or pray to some form of God or deity when in times of hopelessness and despair?

Our nearest mammals cousin the Chimpanzee does not pray or worship in any form.
Think why the difference?

I am not trying to impose my beliefs to you but to make you aware that there are differing views.

Yu-Kym said...

Anon, I find life after death believable - but reincarnation sounds more believable to me than heaven and hell.

If Christians can't prove the resurrection of Jesus, then why are you even saying that scientists cannot disprove it?

"Why is it that human being is the only creature that instinctively worship or pray to some form of God or deity when in times of hopelessness and despair? Our nearest mammals cousin the Chimpanzee does not pray or worship in any form. Think why the difference?"
This is your own thinking. It does not apply to each and every human being.
And, how do you know that the chimps don't have a god??