"Owning" a man

3
I recently added a secondary school mate to my Facebook. We didn't speak to each other at all during our school days so we were both surprised that we now have so much to talk about!

He was my classmate's boyfriend so I never spoke with him. Back then, I avoided talking to guys who had girlfriends. The last thing I wanted to be known as was a boyfriend-stealer. However, I still couldn't avoid dissatisfaction and jealousy among some girls when guys whom they liked talked to me. I saw no reason why I had to avoid speaking to those guys. If someone declares that she likes a particular guy, does that mean she "owns" him and he's out of bounds to other gals? How ridiculous!

Now I'm all grown up but the rules have not changed. The only difference is women now have their "ownership" of men in writing. (I say women own the men and not the other way round because the governing law for marriage in Singapore is the Women's Charter (for non-Muslims.)

"Owning" a man is like owning a dog. You have a licence and you don't know what you're getting until you bring it home. Some dogs make a mess, refuse to shower and bark when they are hungry. Some dogs like to stay indoors; some dogs like to run outdoors and bring some dirt back on its feet when it comes home to you at night; some dogs make your neighbours' dogs pregnant; some dogs just run away and never come back. People who own dogs would know that there's not much you can do to change an animal's personality.

If your dog's personality does not match yours, pet ownership can be more stressful than fun. It might be better off for you to give your dog up for adoption or put it down (SPCA might protest).

I am neither condoning nor condemning the dogs' behaviour. Dogs choose what they want to do and so can their owners!

3 comments:

TrainMan said...

yah..mens are dogs..lolz
no doubt abt it..

Anonymous said...

correction. men love doggy style. do you ms kim?

Yu-Kym said...

maybe men are dogs that's why they love doggy style!