Reading in Bed Causes Myopia?

2
I love reading in bed. My bed is comfortable and the sheets are cottony soft. I have several reading positions. This picture here shows one of them.



Isn't reading in bed bad for your eyesight? I'm sure parents discourage children from reading in bed. My parents did that too. Fortunately, I never listened otherwise I wouldn't have read any book at all! Actually, it has not been proven that reading in bed, sitting too close to the TV or frequent use of computers cause myopia or short-sightedness. Studies indicate that there may be a link between lifestyle and myopia but the exact environmental factor has not been determined. What researchers do know is that if you have one parent who has myopia, there is a one in three chance you will also have myopia. If both of your parents have myopia, you have a 50% chance of having it too. Researchers have also found that people of different ethnic groups have different likelihood of having myopia. For example, 8 out of 10 people of Asian origin have myopia, whereas 3 out of 10 people of European origin do. However, researchers in Singapore think this does not explain the rapid increase in the number of people with myopia over the last 3 generations.

Want to know what I think? I think it myopia is genetic. I have 1 parent who has myopia so I have 1 in 3 chance of having myopia. I've been reading on the bed, watching TV up close, reading in the dark, spending lots of time on the computer and I've got perfect eyesight. My younger sister does the same and she has perfect eyesight. My elder sister did none of these and she had myopia since she was 12. So a 1 in 3 chance is pretty accurate for my family. As for the rapid increase in myopia in Singapore over the last 3 generations, still considering the genetic factor, I think people could have been choosing the wrong mates! E.g. if you're myopic and you choose a mate who has myopia, then obviously your offspring has a higher chance of having myopia. Mate carefully!

Sources:
Newscientist.com
Singapore National Eye Centre
bupa.co.uk

2 comments:

TrainMan said...

damn it..there goes my chance..

TrainMan said...

let me add something also...

im myopic since primary sch..love to read on the bed play games without the lights on...still my degree didnt change at all.
so i think its just a myth regarding this and more of a genetic thing.