Ambidexterity: gift or brain-damage?

14
I'm working late again tonight. Yes, that's a pen you see in my left hand. But I'm not left-handed; I'm ambidextrous.


Ambidexterity means being able to use both hands equally well. Ambidextrous people may prefer to use a specific hand for performing certain types of tasks. Ambidexterity is rare and I have not been able to find out the percentage of people who are ambidextrous - please post it here if you have the answer. There are people out there who believe there are many advantages of being ambidextrous and some even train to be ambidextrous (http://www.wholebrainpower.net/). However, in an article (www.linkshaender-beratung.de/english/Ambidextrous.htm) someone argued that ambidexterity is caused by brain damage.

So... am I gifted or brain-damaged?

For a long time I thought I was left-handed because I never knew the word "ambidextrous" existed. I just thought I am a left-handed person with a strange ability to use my right hand in the same way as right-handed people for activities such as racket games. I was never forced to use either hand for any task. I am thankful to be ambidextrous because equipment made for left-handed people, such as golf clubs, guitars and caligraphy pens, tend to cost alot more - that's if they are even available. Other advantages of being ambidextrous include allowing the other hand to take over when one hand gets tired (e.g. cutting meat) and multi-tasking (e.g. I hold my pen in my left hand and use the fingers on my right hand for my calculator).



I don't think I suffer from brain damage.
Left brain check (logical): Good at maths, maths speed quiz 2nd prize winner, possess bachelor's degree in electrical engineering.
Right brain check (creative/artistic/sports): Fabric design 1st prize winner, Long jump champion, played drums, flute and guitar.
Think I'm ok? Considering the possibility that I could have suffered brain damage, does that mean I could have been smarter?



Another study says that ambidextrous people more likely to be bisexual (www.scrippsnews.com/node/17441). Am I bi-sexual? That's for me to know and for you to guess :)

14 comments:

TrainMan said...

Can i find out instead??? lolz

i wish right... :-(

Taka said...

i am also left handed but only for writing and holding knife other then that i use my right hand. :P

Anonymous said...

My five year is also ambidextrous and he's also very good in class.

Yu-Kym said...

Great that your child has a parent who understands ambidexterity! But don't get too excited about being "good in class" :)

Anonymous said...

Potatoes!


Yum!

Anonymous said...

hey I'm also ambidextrous and I'm studying electrical engineering as well as I'm playing table tennis(racket game) with both hands to national level!!
what a coincidence!!!

Yu-Kym said...

Yeah! What are the chances!

Anonymous said...

hi am a gifted ambidextrous from commonwealth of dominica

Yu-Kym said...

Hi! It's nice to know a fellow-ambidextrous who is gifted :)

Anonymous said...

Can you write equally well with both hands Yu-Kym?

Ambidextrous, bilingual or multi-lingual ppl are the more intelligent ppl I always say.

curious cat

Yu-Kym said...

For me, one hand is always better than the other for specific uses.

Being bi- or multi-lingual is only one narrow aspect of intelligence.

Anonymous said...

Yu-Kym,

Well i certainly believe these talents certainly points one a certain direction about an individual's "intelligence"..and it cannot be negative.. hahaha

If i may ask...

How did you end up in electrical engineering? It is not a popular line of study for girls, is it not?

And why did you not pursue a career in line with your qualification?

curious cat

Yu-Kym said...

Someone who's a linguist may be rather silly when it comes to other things!

I'm good at Math and Science, and I wanted to go into research and development for eco-friendly and natural energy. The government was also promoting Engineering. However, I learnt that to make good money, I can't be in R&D, and the R&D scene here was(is?) a very sad.

Anonymous said...

You're rather hot, wo ye shi yi ge zhong guo ren,

add me, Dicksamm@hotmail.com your cameltoe is pretty too :D